Frequently Asked Questions

Is the MREA licensed?

Yes. The MREA is licensed by the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs and Proprietary School Unit (License No. 19830015) to offer real estate pre-licensing courses. The MREA is also a credible provider for real estate and appraisal Continuing Education courses for licensees.

What are the requirements for obtaining a real estate salesperson license?

The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs has three primary requirements:

  1. Education- 40 Hours of classroom instruction (four of which must include Equal Opportunity in Housing and Civil Rights Law).
  2. Application- Upon successful completion of the required education, license candidates may apply for a real estate salesperson license.
  3. Examination- All license candidates must successfully complete and pass the Michigan Real Estate Salesperson Exam administered by PSI Exams to obtain their real estate salesperson license.

What is the cost of the Licensing Exam and how do I register?

The licensing exam fee is $76.00. To register, contact PSI Exams or call 1 (800) 733-9267. Exam brochures are also available at the MREA office.

What is the cost of the real estate license application and where do I find it?

The license fee is $88, and it can be found at the Bureau of Professional Licensing

Does the MREA offer the training I need to obtain my real estate salesperson license?

Yes. The MREA provides the required pre-licensure education in its Real Estate 101 course.

What is the course fee for Real Estate 101?

The fee for this course is $285, includes all required books and materials, and must be paid prior to beginning the course.

Will the MREA help me find employment after I complete the required training?

The MREA provides educational support only and does not assist students with job placement in a real estate firm.

What will a real estate salesperson license allow me to do?

Licensed real estate salespersons may list properties for sale and assist buyers in the purchase of property under the supervision of a real estate broker.

What other courses are offered by the MREA?

View Course Catalog (PDF) | View Upcoming Courses

Where can I...

Can my broker/employer pay for my course fee?

Yes. Contact the MREA for detailed information.

What happens if I miss a session?

You will be able to make up that session during a different course month. Contact the MREA for arrangements.

Can I transfer to a different course month?

Yes. You have 12 months from your original registered course date to complete Real Estate 101. To transfer, send your request to Contact the MREA for more information.

What if I need to cancel?

To cancel registration and receive a course refund of $230.00, a student must notify the MREA, via email at, within 24-hours following registration. Materials are not eligible for refund. Refund requests shall be processed within 10 days. Please note that this policy is subject to change.

Does Michigan have Real Estate Licensing reciprocity with any other state?

Not Currently. Regardless of other real estate licenses you may hold, to be licensed in Michigan, you must follow the steps to obtain a Michigan Real Estate License. Additionally, you can contact Michigan’s Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs for detailed information and exceptions.  

Are all of the course materials specific to the state of Michigan? 

The Michigan Real Estate Academy selects course materials which will offer the highest quality content available. We use both Michigan-specific and general real estate course materials to prepare students for passing the Michigan Real Estate Salesperson exam.



5830 Venture Park Drive
Kalamazoo, Michigan 49009
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Phone: (269) 373-1554
Fax: (269) 382-3462 

Your feedback is Welcome! To provide a comment or complaint about your course experience, please download and submit this form (PDF).


Recent MREA Blog Posts