Members Appointed to Kalamazoo County Land Bank Panel
September 24, 2009
Source: Gabrielle Russon,Kalamazoo Gazette
Members appointed to Kalamazoo County Land Bank panel
KALAMAZOO - Six members were appointed Tuesday to the new Kalamazoo County Land Bank.
The land bank authority will have the power to manage and sell houses and businesses that have fallen into foreclosure for nonpayment of property taxes and will pay to demolish condemned homes.
Treasurer Mary Balkema will serve as the chairwoman of the authority, which, including her, will have seven members.
During a special meeting Tuesday, the Kalamazoo County Board of Commissioners appointed the following members to unpaid positions on the authority:
- James Marquardt, a real estate lawyer from Kalamazoo. He will serve a three-year term. Marquardt is president of the Kalamazoo Civic Theatre and a former chairman of the city of Kalamazoo's Brownfield Redevelopment Authority.
- Catherine Montoya, an assistant director and housing coordinator for Berrien County's community-development department. She will serve a one-year term. Montoya is a Texas Township resident and staff member for the land bank authority in Berrien County.
- Jerome Kisscorni, the city of Kalamazoo's economic-development director. He will serve a one-year term. Kisscorni, of Kalamazoo, was recommended by the Kalamazoo City Commission.
- Al Rowe, a real-estate broker from Vicksburg. He will serve a two-year term.
- Justin Vander Ark, who will serve a two-year term. The Kalamazoo resident is the director of government affairs for the Home Builders Association of Greater Kalamazoo.
- Tahirih Ziegler, executive director of the Local Initiatives Support Corp. The Kalamazoo resident will serve a three-year term.